tisdag 22 juli 2008

Books, Dresses and Panties

Today I went shopping at the mall. It was mostly becuase I didn't have any clean underwear left and i really didn't want to do laundry. I really hate the mall though. There is so many stores, cars and people. It makes my head spin. It's extra chaotic right now because of the summer sale. People are crazy! haha... I shouldn't really talk, I bought two dresses. They were really cheap and I just couldn't resist. I'm not really a dress-person but they were SO cheap. So much for not falling for the sale tricks. But sometimes it's nice to know that your brain works exactly like everyone else's. It makes you feel like a part of the group. We all act like lemmings and do exactly what everyone else does. I noticed this in the beginning of the summer when i was working as a sales person at music festivals. Every single person that put on a pair of sun glasses and then looked in the mirrow does this weird face where they put their upper lip up agaist their nose. I was kind of laughing at it until I tried on a pair of the sun-glasses myself and did the exact same thing without realizing it. I wonder if people from another part of the world would do the same face too? That's an experiment for another time though.

Anyway, I was talking about the mall. I understand the good things with malls. You've got everything you need in one place and you don't have to run around to get it. Technically, you could spend the whole day in there. This is what I find depressing. The funny thing with the mall is that it's so freakin' American. When it comes to what is American I think malls are up there with apple pie and guns (don't know where the concept was invented though but if I had to guess I would say America). When I walked through the mall today I couldn't stop thinking how much it felt like being back in America. The stores were different but otherwise they had everything, McDonalds, the food court, the smothie bar, and the giantic parking lot that an American mall should have. It was a little bit disconcerning actually. I do love my American friends A LOT and I actually love America in some ways, but I have to say that that country is fucked up in more ways than one. The health care system, the legal system, the political system and last but not least the things they eat are all very..well to be plain...bad! I can't understand why we are Americanizing out society? It's weird! At the same time, I get really annoyed that Swedes think they are so freaking above the Americans and we complain about how uneducated they are and how their whole culture is unhealthy and horrible. If we're so above it why are we building malls? Why is the majority of movies in our cinemas and shows on tv American? Why have children started celebrating Halloween? Why are the music on the radio mostly American? I know you can answer many of these questions by saying that America has monopolized the market and that's why there are so many American movies/tv shows, but no one is forcing us to watch them. Tv stations and cinemas wouldn't show them if people didn't go see them. Also, Bollywood actually produces a larger amount of movies than Hollywood, but how many of these do we get to see. I know I'm simplifying things but I just kind of get angry when all the western countries in Europe just blames America for everything that's wrong with our western culture and ignores our own part in it.

Ok enough with my ranting now. Let's move on to more important things, like the books I bought today! I love buying books, even if I can't afford them. Today I bought 4 books:

The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency: I have been wanting to read this series for a long time so when I saw the first part I just had to buy it. It seems to be that kind of quirky humor I love. Kind of like Jasper Fforde's books. Atleast I hope it is!

Burning Bright: It's one of Tracy Chevalier's books. She has written one of my favorite books "Falling Angels" and I realized when I saw this one today they I never read anything else she has written. This just needs to be corrected and it will be!

The curoius incident of the dog in the night-time: I just found this book in the book store and thougt it sounded really interesting. It's a murder mystery told from the perspective of a boy with Asperger's syndrome. And the title is awesome!

Extremely loud and incredibly close: By Jonathan Safran Foer. This is an amazing book! I just had to buy it. I got if from the library when I read it the first time and i have been annoyed that i don't have it in my book shelf. It's truely one of the most original, well written and amazing books I've ever read!

That was all the books I bought today! I can't wait to start reading them, but first I have to finish the book I'm reading right now which is "A thousand Splendid Suns". It's good, but so far I actually like the author's other book, The Kite Runner better. I haven't gotten that far in the story so maybe I shouldn't form an opinion yet. Before I read this one I read "The Perks of Being a Wallflower". It was a very good book. It consists of letters written by this sort of awkward 15 year old boy who just started High School. It's very original, entertaining and touching. It made me a little sad, becuase it made me miss my teenage years, which is sort of ridiculous becuase being a teenager sucks in so many ways. You're all insecure and confused about life (not that I'm not confused about life now.. but it's in different way!). I think the main reason I got sad is that I haven't really realized that I'm not a teenager anymore but when I read things like that I get a reminded of it.

I hung out with my sister and her boyfriend today too. My sister's boyfriend is really cool because he know so much about music and movies/tv shows (he's also a nice guy, by the way, it's not just the movie/music that makes him cool, but it do play their part in my world) and we're always complaining about my sister's bad music taste. haha. It is bad! He's always trying to teach her about all these bands and stuff. It's funny. We also put together IKEA furnitures and it didn't end very well, or to be honest, it ended like it usually does when you're putting together IKEA furnitures, with people screaming, cursing and hitting things.

Well, I better go and sleep now because I have to get up tomorrow and have lunch with my friends, but I will end this post with another of my comic strips. This one is based on every morning I have morning lectures, which seems to be all the time.

COFFEE









And finally in the words of Dr. Horrible:

"Peace!.... but not literally..."

Inga kommentarer: